1. Will the MA degree no longer be a degree of Freie Universität Berlin and also hosted by HMKW?
The MA degree will be, from the start of the new winter semester in October 2019, a Master program with a Master degree offered from HMKW University of Applied Science for Media, Communication and Management.
The program will be hosted not anymore by FU Berlin, but by HMKW. All students who are immatriculated at the moment will finish their studies at FU Berlin and will receive the FU certificate.
2. What is the reason for the move from FU Berlin to HMKW Berlin?
The reason for the move is a political decision of FU Berlin. FU Berlin decided to shut down all advanced graduate degree programs, even if they are very successful, like our MA in Visual and Media Anthropology, and will offer in the future only tuition-free consecutive MA programs.
3. What kind of status does HMKW university have?
HMKW is a private, state-approved university with institutional accreditation by the German Council of Science and Humanities. All of its degree programs are additionally accredited by FIBAA (international agency for quality assurance in higher education). Therefore, we can guarantee the same high standard in the quality of the program.
4. What changes have been made to the program and curriculum?
There are no changes of the program structure or curriculum. Of course we updated the regulations a little bit, but with no major changes.
5. Will the lecturers and staff remain the same or will they be changing too?
The lecturers and main teaching and coordinating staff will more or less remain the same. We will work with the new administrative staff of HMKW and some addional staff (the professors) from HMKW.
6. Is the HMKW offering the same technical film standard?
The HMKW owns an own studio for broadcasting and a large film editing pool and creative and well-equipped work spaces for exhibition preparation. Therefore, the technical standard will be better than at FU Berlin.
7. I see that the application deadline is set at July 31st. By when do you notify succesful applicants?
Applications will be reviewed the first week of August. We will be informing accepted applicants around mid of August.
8. How many applications do you have in general? And how many places?
During the last years the program had approximately 250 applications on only 30 places.
9. Can I pay the tution fees of 670 Euro monthly or do I need to pay per semester, year or in total?
We excpect tuition fees to be paid per year (8040 Euro) or per semester (4020 Euro for six months). tuition is due by August 31st, 2019, for the study year 2019/20, beginning October 2019.
Additional costs to be considered: travel and accomodation costs to take part in the in-house classes, health insurance, travel expenses within Germany etc.
10. Does the tuition fee for the whole program amount to €670 x 24 months= € 16.080?
Yes, that’s correct. Tuition fees are 670 Euro per month, 4020 Euro for one semester (six months) and in total for the four semester 16.080 Euro.
11. Are there additional (hidden) university fees?
No there are no additional or hidden university fees.
12. Is the semester ticket for public transportation in Berlin included in the tution fees?
No, it is not included. But you can buy the semester ticket on your own, if you need it, for the reduced student prize.
13. What kind of material is expected in the portfolio?
You can add links to own film or photogrphy works, a pdf with a presentation of one special work or an article your published etc. in your portfolio. the portfolio is optionla, not mandatory
14. Do you want me to submit a proof of my scholarship, proof of financial sufficency or a bank statement?
A proof of a scholarshop or your financial sufficency such as proofed with a bank statement can strengthen your application.
15. Do I have to obtain a student visa for the MA Visual and Media Anthropology program?
Due to the program structure with mainly web-based and eLearning classes, it is not necessary to reside in Berlin or Germany and a regular tourist visa is sufficient to enter Germany to take part in the in-house classes.
However, applications for a student visa are possible. The requirements and necessity of obtaining a student visa for the MA Visual and Media Anthropology program varies depending on the nationality of the prospective student. Please contact the German embassy in your home country/country of residence for all info on a student visa.
The general prerequisites for obtaining a residency for the purpose of studying in Berlin include:
Required documents include:
Please note, the above information is intended as a general guide only and may vary depending on your country of origin. Please visit the Ausländerbehörde webpage for more information.
Website for the Berlin Foreigners Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde), which issues residence permits and student visas.