The tuition fees and semester fees are in total approximately 13,200 € for the whole study programme (two years). This means 6,600 € per study year, (including FU university fees, see below). We highly appreciate a payment of the whole tuition fees for the two years and the semester fee for the first semester (12,291.59 €) with acceptance of the place in our program. A yearly payment is possible upon request.
The following fees will arise over the course of the study program (and are included in the sum 13,200 €):
1) tuition fees in the amount of 11,980 € for the two study years
2) Freie Universität Berlin´s administrative semester fee (for (re)registration, transportation ticket (Semesterticket*) for use of public transport and other contributions):
- approx. 311.59€** for the winter term (first semester)
- approx. 311.59€** for the summer term (second semester)
- approx. 311.59€** for the winter term (third semester)
- approx. 311.59€** for the summer term (fourth semester)
Please note that the additional university registration/semester fees change slightly from semester to semester**.
*Students are required to pay for the Semesterticket (Berlin railway) upfront. The ticket fees are included in the university semester fees. Students can apply for a reimbursement through the AstaFU here: https://www.astafu.de/semtixformulare
**Before making semester fee payments, please visit http://www.fu-berlin.de/en/studium/studienorganisation/immatrikulation/rueckmeldung/gebuehren/index.html to ensure you have the most current amount.
3) Students must also keep in mind any additional costs arising from health insurance (approx. 90 €/month) as health insurance coverage is required for the whole duration of your study. Please find detailed information on health insurance here: https://www.fu-berlin.de/en/studium/international/studium_fu/einreise_aufenthalt/krankenversicherung/index.html
The costs for traveling and accomdation for the In-house classes and fieldwork periods need to be considered as well.
Abstract Tuition Statute:
§ 3 Payment Procedure
(1) The obligation to pay the tuition fees arises when the student is notified in writing of his/her admission to the Graduate Degree in Visual and Media Anthropology (Master of Arts). The deadline for the payment of the tuition fees due for the academic year (plus semester fees and charges as applicable) should be made by August 31rst for the academic year concerned.
(2) If the studies are not started and/or are broken off within a time period of four weeks after the start of the studies (start of the introductory seminars), three quarters of the rate payable for the first academic year shall be refunded. Should the studies be broken off at a later time, the rate for the entire study program shall be payable.
Please read the complete Tuition Statute by following this link (and scroll down, please).
Name of Bank: Deutsche Bank PGK AG
Adress of Bank: Unter den Linden 13-15, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Account Holder: Freie Universitaet Berlin
Code Number / BLZ: 100 708 48
Account Number: 51 21 64 503
Reason for Payment / Booking reference: Neu_vismed_YourName E.g. // (Neu_vismed_Terry)
IBAN: DE 09 1007 0848 0512 1645 03
Scholarship opportunities can be researched e.g. at the following scholarship data base (unfortunately only in German, but also available for foreign students). You can also contact the DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service).
You can also refer to our list of selected scholarships that are suitable to study at our Institute.
The German bank KfW offers student loans: