Springe direkt zu Inhalt

3. Admission

Do I have to translate all of my application paperwork and other proofs?

We need a certified translation of the certificate of your first degree as well as all work experience-related documents, only if they are not written in German or English.

Chinese certificates, however, have to be notarized by the German Embassy in Beijing.

How do I prove my previous work experience?

You must have a minimum of one year work experience (internship, job, project, self-employment), related to your first degree. The minimum of one year's work experience must take place after the completion of your first degree. This work experience should be presented as a detailed schedule or table, including: 1. employer/internship supervisor; 2. job description; 3. duration of the employment/placement; 4. proof description (copy of contract, certificate of employment/internship completion, or a signed letter from the employer/supervisor).  All documents related to your work experience must either be in German or English.

Could you please give some examples of eligible work experience?

Eligible work experience varies depending on the subject area of your undergraduate or first degree. Please see below for examples of work experience that have been included in previous applications (N.B. eligible work experience is related to an applicant’s undergraduate or first degree and/or to other media domains):

Lead Researcher for Scanlines, online video database and archive website of video art in Australia since the 1960s, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia

Educator, Art Installer and Curatorial Intern at the Museum of Contemporary Art, Sydney, Australia

Artist in Residence at Sarai, Centre for the Study of Developing Societies and Devi Art Foundation, New Delhi, India

Production Assistant, Tusta & Tma Video Production, Novi Sad, Serbia

Communication and Management Officer, FP7 project of the European Commission HEROMAT – Protection of cultural heritage objects with multifunctional advances materials

Film Score Producer, Cineforum, Labirinto, Italy

Project Coordinator, EN/CONTRASTE – Photographic lab for rural and urban youth, Quito, Ecuador

Production Manager, NRK Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation, Oslo, Norway

Festival Producer, Films from the South Foundation (NGO), Oslo, Norway

Internship teaching Youth Empowerment with Rural Development Fund (NGO), Andhra Pradesh, India

When will I be informed about my admission status?

We will be informing applicants of their admission status in mid-June per email, and the accepted students will receive the official confirmation from the Freie Universität Berlin per post around the month of August.

Do I have to obtain a student visa for the MA Visual and Media Anthropology program?

The requirements and necessity of obtaining a student visa for the MA Visual and Media Anthropology program varies depending on the nationality of the prospective student and whether he/she intends to live and study in Berlin or travel to Germany only for the in-house classes.

The general prerequisites for obtaining a residency for the purpose of studying in Berlin include:

  • Registered residence in Berlin - the Berlin Foreigners Registration Office can only issue residence permits to foreign nationals who are registered residents of   Berlin. Click here for more information on registering your residence in Berlin.
  •  University place - you must be enrolled or have conditional approval for studying in order to be issued a residence permit.

Required documents include:

  • A valid passport
  • 1 current biometric photo
  • Completed "Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit" form (only required for first-time applicants)
  • Proof of secure livelihood e.g. a German bank account with more than 7,608 Euros / submission of a declaration of commitment by a third party on an official form / bank guarantee at a German bank / declaration from parents scurrying the livelihood for the duration of the studies / scholarship / bank statement
  • German Health insurance certificate
  • Certificate of enrolment or conditional approval for studying

Please note, the above information is intended as a general guide only and may vary depending on your country of origin. Please visit the Ausländerbehörde webpage for more information.

Website for the Berlin Foreigners Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde), which issues residence permits and student visas.