Springe direkt zu Inhalt

FAQs HMKW Relaunch

1. Will the MA degree no longer be a degree of Freie Universität Berlin and also hosted by HMKW? 

The MA degree will be, from the start of the new winter semester in October 2019, a Master program with a Master degree offered from HMKW University of Applied Science for Media, Communication and Management.

The program will be hosted not anymore by FU Berlin, but by HMKW. All students who are immatriculated at the moment will finish their studies at FU Berlin and will receive the FU certificate. 

2. What is the reason for the move from FU Berlin to HMKW Berlin?

The reason for the move is a political decision of FU Berlin. FU Berlin decided to shut down all advanced graduate degree programs, even if they are very successful, like our MA in Visual and Media Anthropology, and will offer in the future only tuition-free consecutive MA programs.

3. What kind of status does HMKW university have? 

HMKW is a private, state-approved university with institutional accreditation by the German Council of Science and Humanities. All of its degree programs are additionally accredited by FIBAA (international agency for quality assurance in higher education). Therefore, we can guarantee the same high standard in the quality of the program.

4. What changes have been made to the program and curriculum? 

There are no changes of the program structure or curriculum. Of course we updated the regulations a little bit, but with no major changes. 

5. Will the lecturers and staff remain the same or will they be changing too?

The lecturers and main teaching and coordinating staff will more or less remain the same. We will work with the new administrative staff off HMKW. 

6. Is HMKW offering the same technical film standard?

The HMKW owns an own studio for broadcasting and a large film editing pool and creative and well-equipped work spaces for exhibition preparation. Therefore, the technical standard will be better than at FU Berlin. 

7. I see that the application deadline is set by April 15th. By when do you notify succesful applicants? 

Applications will be reviewed until end of April. We will be informing accepted applicants latest in May.

8. How many applications do you have in general? And how many places?

During the last years the program had approximately 250 applications on only 30 places.

9. Can I pay the tution fees also per semester? 

The full course fee is 16,080€. You can choose to pay in semester installments (4020 Euro per seemster) or in annual instalments or you can choose to pay full up-front. 

Additional costs are to be considered: travel and accomodation costs to take part in the in-house classes, health insurance, travel expenses within Germany etc.

But the in-house-period is not mandatory! So you can also save that money. 

10. What is the total tuition fee for the whole program?

Tuition fees are 4020 Euro for one semester (six months) and in total for the four semester 16.080 Euro. There are no other hiden costs, but studenst must calculate insurance, flights to Berlin and accomodation in case they plan to come to the two in-house-workshops (in general about 5 days or maximum two weeks long). 

11. Are there additional (hidden) university fees?
No there are no additional or hidden university fees.
12. Is the semester ticket for public transportation in Berlin included in the tution fees?

No, it is not included. But you can buy the semester ticket on your own, if you need it, for the reduced student prize!

13. Do I need to add a portfolio to my application?

You do not need to add a portfoilio. The motivation latter is most important to us, But if you want to, you can add links to own film or photography works, a pdf with a presentation of one special work or an article your published etc. in your portfolio. The portfolio is optional, not mandatory!

14. Do you want me to submit a proof of my scholarship, proof of financial sufficency or a bank statement?

We definetely need a proof of a scholarshop in case you cannot afford the studies on your own. A proof of your financial sufficency such as proofed with a bank statement can also strengthen your application.

15.  Do I have to obtain a student visa for the MA Visual and Media Anthropology program?

Due to the program structure with mainly web-based and eLearning classes, it is not necessary to reside in Berlin or Germany and a regular tourist visa is sufficient to enter Germany to take part in the in-house classes.

However, applications for a student visa are possible. The requirements and necessity of obtaining a student visa for the MA Visual and Media Anthropology program varies depending on the nationality of the prospective student. Please contact the German embassy in your home country/country of residence for all info on a student visa.

The general prerequisites for obtaining a residency for the purpose of studying in Berlin include:

  • Registered residence in Berlin - the Berlin Foreigners Registration Office can only issue residence permits to foreign nationals who are registered residents of   Berlin. Click here for more information on registering your residence in Berlin.
  •  University place - you must be enrolled or have conditional approval for studying in order to be issued a residence permit.

Required documents include:

  • A valid passport
  • 1 current biometric photo
  • Completed "Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit" form (only required for first-time applicants)
  • Proof of secure livelihood e.g. a German bank account with more than 8,640 Euros / submission of a declaration of commitment by a third party on an official form / bank guarantee at a German bank / declaration from parents scurrying the livelihood for the duration of the studies / scholarship / bank statement
  • German Health insurance certificate
  • Certificate of enrolment or conditional approval for studying

Please note, the above information is intended as a general guide only and may vary depending on your country of origin. Please visit the Ausländerbehörde webpage for more information.

Website for the Berlin Foreigners Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde), which issues residence permits and student visas.